Norwich Terriers Post World War II

The war years had been very difficult for those interested in show dogs. There had barely been enough to sustain the people let alone animals, and, of course, all shows had been suspended for the duration.

When Championship shows recommenced after the War, the Norwich , going into the show ring untrimmed ( and often ungroomed as well) did not look much like showdogs, but, of the two ear types, it was the prick-ear which began to win most Challenge Certificates and make the most progress.

Miss Marion Sheila Scott McFie, who had joined the Norwich Terrier Club in 1935 and had a personal preference for the drop-ears, bred and showed extensively and successfully before the War, and it was generally acknowledged that it had been largely due to her efforts that the drop-ears were kept going in such strength during the years of World War II.

By the late 1950s Miss McFie had already begun a campaign to persuade The Kennel Club to give each ear type a separate register within the one breed, but it took until 1964 before the two types actually received separate recognition.

Although the Club had wanted separate registers, The Kennel Club had insisted on two separate breeds being formed, each with its own separate name. It was decided that the more dominant prick-ears should keep the name "Norwich Terrier", and, after some debate, it was agreed by the Club, and after a Ballot had taken place, that the drop-ears should be known as the "Norfolk Terrier".

After the formation of the Norfolk Terrier Club in 1964, the two breeds started on their separate ways.

 

 

Above: CH. QUARTZHILL BARTSIA
Prick-ear male, born 15th. August 1955

Winner of 14 C.C.s

Above: CH. JERICHO HILL VIXEN
Prick-ear bitch, born 27th. June 1950

Winner of 14 C.C.s

 

To return to History

To see Notable Norwich

To see Top Winners

To return to Contents