Norwich Terrier Club
23rd. November 2008
Held at Roade Village Hall , Northamptonshire
Dog CC & Best in Show – Ch. Ragus Rings True
Bitch CC, Best Opposite Sex & Res. Best in Show – Titanium Paint Your Wagon
Dog RCC & Best Puppy in Show – Ragus Sweet Talking Guy
Bitch RCC & Best Opp. Sex Puppy in Show – Ragus Very True
Best Veteran in Show – Elve Forest Witch
I am most grateful for the honour of judging the NTC Championship Show and was delighted with the entry and so few absentees on a cold November day. There was a good atmosphere and I hope people enjoyed their day as much as I did.
I chatted with Peter Bell during the break who must have attended just about all of our shows for many years and he commented on how the breed has changed for the better since he first took an interest. I would agree with him as the overall quality was impressive for a numerically small breed. The consistency of type was very pleasing but I would ask breeders to remember size, as the Norwich is essentially a small dog and coupling. There were a number of short-backed exhibits, with a short rib cage, where a short loin would be much more preferable.
Minor Puppy Dog (5,1):
1. Willard's Jacquill Whisky And Soda for Crivnor, D, 19/04/08, Br: Flannery & Bennett, (Ch Ragus Rings True - Crivnor Cream Soda at Jacquill) A typey, sound moving baby that showed well. Pleasing head, good body in bone, I would have preferred him a little tighter in elbow.
2. Stevenson's Brickin Top Of The Morning, D, 06/04/08, Br: Exh, (Ragus Hey Good Lookin for Brickin - Brickin Red Dawn) Good for type, OK in head, with a pleasing expression, nicely ribbed body with tight elbows. Correctly angulated, I would have preferred a longer rib cage. Presented in good coat but not quite the movement of 1.
3. Barge & Hardwicke's Baktwins Sunseeker, D, 11/05/08, Br: Mrs B Watkins, (Ch Titanium Columbus - Baktwins Morning Sun)
R. Bishop's Bardash Diamond Smugler , D, 21/04/08, Br: Sue J Cooper, (Ragus Diamond Thief - Troublesome Lady)
Puppy Dog (6,2):
1. Crawley's Ragus Sweet Talkin' Guy, D, 23/11/07, Br: Exh, (Kinsridge Caption - Ch Ragus True Romance) Promising young red that made a lovely, balanced outline. Pleasing head and expression, lovely flow of neck into well placed shoulders, good topline, well ribbed body and good rear angulation. He moved and showed well and was superbly presented, in common with all exhibits from this kennel. RCC & BPIS.
2. Lawson's Softpaws Red Robin, D, 13/01/08, Br: Mrs D Smith, (Ch Glenhafod Arizona - Softpaws Dehli Delight) Another red, nice for size and with a pleasing head and eye. OK for body and with pleasing angulation, he moved well. There was enough coat to feel good texture but his outline would have looked so much better in a fuller jacket.
3. Southwell's Berty Way at Delosinga, D, 10/01/08, Br: J Sheppard, (Ch Titanium Columbus - Luna Von Den Zwei Eichen Lasterean)
R. Downie & Mansfield's Jaeva Catch Phrase, D, 20/01/08, Br: Mr M Phillips, (Kinsridge Caption - Jaeva Sitting Pretty)
Junior Dog ( No Entries )
Special Beginners Dog. (3,0):
1. Berty Way at Delosinga, a B/T puppy that was good for size and a good, rich colouring. Acceptable in head, he has a good topline and moved OK. Presented in a short jacket, he looked a little long in the puppy class but here, when he pulled himself together against another exhibit, made a good typey outline.
2. Kell's Ragus Revelation, D, 12/06/06, Br: Mrs L Crawley, (Ch/Sw Ch Ragus Up 'N' Adam - Ragus Devotion) A more mature B/T that pleased in head, body, quarters and rear angulation. Presented in a good coat, he lost out today on front movement.
3. Bishop's Bardash Diamond Smugler , D, 21/04/08, Br: Sue J Cooper, (Ragus Diamond Thief - Troublesome Lady)
Novice Dog (2,2):
Post Graduate Dog (3,1):
1. Mason's Glenhafod Red Dragon, D, 13/09/07, Br: Exh, (Ch Glenhafod Arizona -Scarlet Ribbons of Glenhafod) Sadly, the name does not match the colour of this boy as his colour is hardly red. Having said that, he has a pleasing head and expression, lovely flow of neck into a good topline, well ribbed body, good angulation and a pleasing tail. He makes a lovely, typey and balanced outline and moves soundly.
2. Kell's Ragus Revelation
Limit Dog (2,1):
1. Stevenson's Brickin Lets Twist Again, D, 21/07/07, Br: Exh, (Kinsridge Caption - Brickin Dancing In The Rain) This one was presented in a good coat and in the shade of red that is my personal preference. Acceptable in head, good in eye, pleasing body with nice tight elbows. He is good in topline, quarters and rear angulation. He moved well behind but just a shade careless in front.
Open Dog (5,1):
1. Crawley's Ch Ragus Rings True, D, 01/10/06, Br: Exh, (Sw Ch Cobby's Famous Rebel - Ch/Sw Ch Ragus Truly Unruly) A well known red dog that has done an incredible amount of winning in and is still only a little over two years of age. I guessed he would be here and, having never had my hands on him or even seen him close up, I have to admit I was concerned that I might be the odd one out and not like him. I needn't have worried. I liked the feel of his head and his bone was something that way excelled the whole entry, and yet this superb substance was contained in a package of the correct size, that was perfectly balanced and in no way coarse. Presented in a good jacket, he moved true coming and going and drove round the ring, showing his pads as he did so. Not quite perfect but an excellent example of the Breed and I was pleased to award him his 18 th CC, giving him the breed record and BIS.
2. Needham's Ch Titanium Columbus ShCM, D, 20/05/05, Br: Exh, (Am Ch Foxwood Ninja Warrior (Imp) - Titanium Cloudberry) A little larger that 1 but a quality d, good for type. I liked his head, body, neckline, topline, angulation and quarters. He was presented in a full coat and not moving quite as well as 1. Strongly considered for RCC but I just preferred the expression of the puppy on the final look.
3. Fraser's Nepomuk Von Den Zwei Eichen (Imp Aut), D, 25/09/06, Br: Mrs L Ruck, (Ch Ragus Black Tie - Ch Doro Von Den Zwei Eichen)
R. Neatham's Ir Ch Crivnor Cream Cracker at Graysbrooke, D, 26/05/06, Br: Mr N & Mrs C Willard, (Ch Ragus Solid Silver - Ragus Lucy Furr)
Veteran Dog ( No Entries )
Minor Puppy Bitch (6,1):
1. Watkins' Baktwins Sunrise, B, 11/05/08, Br: Exh, (Ch Titanium Columbus -Baktwins Morning Sun) This was a nice class to judge and at this point in their careers, I have no problem in forgiving the odd hiccup on the move, providing I am able to see what I want to see. This is a compact, short backed, typey baby with a pleasing body and nicely balanced bone. Very appealing head and expression, lovely rich coat colour and she moved OK when she wanted to.
2. Stevenson's Brickin Pretty In Pink, B, 06/04/08, Br: Exh, (Ragus Hey Good Lookin for Brickin - Brickin Red Dawn) Not quite the head or substance of 1 but has a lovely neck line that flows beautifully into well placed shoulders. Good in topline and angulation, she moved nicely.
3. Crawley's Ragus Forever Amber, B, 12/05/08, Br: Exh, (Ragus Ovation - Ragus Forever Yours)
R. Cooper's Bardash Gangsters Moll, B, 21/05/08, Br: Exh, (Ragus Diamond Thief-Troublesome Lady)
Puppy Bitch (4,0):
1. Crawley's Ragus Very True, , B, 27/03/08, Br: Exh, (Jaeva Cut And Dry - Ch/Sw Ch Ragus Truly Unruly) A typey red bitch making a lovely balanced outline. She doesn't want to grow on but pleased in head and expression, nicely constructed forehand, good body, topline and well developed quarters. Presented in a good red coat, she moved nicely in the class and even better in the challenge. BPB & RCC.
2. Kay's Softpaws Jessica Rose, B, 13/01/08, Br: Mrs D M Smith, (Glenhafod Arizona - Softpaws Dehli Delight) Good for size, and type, a pretty headed bitch that moved soundly. A longer jacket would have helped her appearance considerably.
3. Stevenson's Brickin Evening Mist, B, 10/03/08, Br: Exh, (Ch Ragus Rings True - Brickin Dawn Mist)
R. Neatham & Crawley's Ragus True Original, B, 27/03/08, Br: L Crawley, (Jaeva Cut And Dry - Ch Ragus Truly Unruly)
Junior Bitch (4.0):
1. Kell's Amicaro Ring-A-Roses, B, 08/09/07, Br: Exh, (Ch Ragus Rings True - Blackdale Red Rose (Imp Ire)) Not much to choose between the first two in this class and on another day they may well have changed places. In the end I went for the outline and front movement of 1, whilst preferring the head and expression and substance of 2.
2. Crawley & Lazenby's Ragus Diamonds Only (TAF), B, 23/10/07, Br: Mrs L Crawley, (Kinsridge Caption - Ragus Fine Diamonds)
3. Bell's Dorinor Red Ember , B, 11/11/07, Br: Exh, (Ch Queslade Rebel Red -Dorinor R' U Reddy)
R. Kay's Softpaws Jessica Rose, B, 13/01/08, Br: Mrs D M Smith, (Glenhafod Arizona - Softpaws Dehli Delight)
Special Beginners Bitch (1,0):
1. Softpaws Jessica Rose,
Novice Bitch (4,1):
1. Baktwins Sunrise,
2. Amicaro Ring-A-Roses,
3. Softpaws Jessica Rose,
Post Graduate Bitch (7,1):
1. Needham's Titanium Paint Your Wagon, B, 16/11/07, Br: Exh, (Ch Titanium Columbus ShCM - Titanium Pawfect Angel) A compact, typey b/t b that is good for size and making a lovely balanced outline. Good head with a very appealing expression, good for body, nicely balanced bone, good topline with well developed quarters and pleasing rear angulation. In good coat, she looked a picture both standing and on the move in profile. I was pleased to award this promising young b her first CC.
2. Corkhill's Redash Tikka Dansak, B, 14/01/07, Br: Exh, (Ch Ragus Up 'N' Adam -Soft Paws Special Tikka) Another b/t that I liked a lot. Good for size and with the prettiest of heads and loveliest expression. Good for body, topline and tail set. With superbly developed quarters, she moved well behind and OK in front. Presented in a very short jacket, there was enough to feel the texture but she really needed more to make the very best of herself.
3. Willard's Crivnor Troubles Brewing, B, 14/12/06, Br: Exh, (Ch Ragus Solid Silver - Troublesome Lady)
R. Crawley's Ragus Ring of Stars, B, 15/02/08, Br: Exh, (Ch Ragus Rings True - Ragus Diamond Star)
Limit Bitch (8,2):
1. Crawley's Ragus Got The Look, B, 05/10/07, Br: Exh, (Sw Ch Waleric Pearly King - Sw Ch Cobby's Dressed To Kill) I particularly liked this girl for her excellent type and lovely balance. She has a good head and pleasing expression, good body, topline and quarters, she was presented in a good red jacket. I loved the way that she really powered round the ring in the class and prior to the challenge would have thought her a cert for one of the top honours. However, when it came to the big moment she didn't move as well as she had in the class and stood quite straight behind, losing her lovely outline and so it just was not to be today.
2. Willard's Lets Be 'Avin You in Crivnor, B, 06/06/06, Br: Willard & Crawley, (Caterpillar vom Rittersee - Ragus Inspiration) Another typey red b with a pretty head, with good width between the ears and a good eye. Pleasing body and presented in a good jacket, she move OK but not quite as well as 1.
3. Martin's Baktwins Follow That Dream, B, 10/03/07, Br: B Watkins, (Cobby's High Stakes - Ch Ragus Summer Dream)
R. Bell's Dorinor Dizzy Lizzy , B, 29/04/05, Br: Exh, (Ch Brickin Storming Norman - Sygar Siesta for Dorinor)
Open Bitch (3,0):
1. Crawley's Ragus Forever Yours , B, 07/11/06, Br: Exh, (Ragus Diamond Thief - Ch Ragus Yours Truly) A short-backed b. making a compact outline feminine head, good body and quarters, OK rear angulation. She moved OK and I think a longer coat would have given her a better outline.
2. Willard's Ragus Inspiration, B, 21/06/04, Br: L Crawley, (Ragus Fits The Bill with Rouletta - Ragus Celebration) A pretty headed b. with a good reach of neck, pleasing body and bone and with good quarters. Coat past its best but OK for texture. Not quite the front movement of 1.
3. Hillsdon's Daisywillow Pinky Pooh Bear, B, 02/02/06, Br: Mrs S Turnbull, (Titanium Coeur De Lion - Daisy Doo)
Veteran Bitch (2,0):
1. Wilson's Elve Forest Witch, B, 15/05/99, Br: Mr M Crawley, (Ch Elve The Viking - Elve Wizardess) I always enjoyed talking Norwich with Michael Crawley and this girl must be the last to carry his affix that is still in the ring. At 10 ½ she is a credit to her owner, pretty head, lovely body and in good coat. BVIS
2. Martin's Acquest Polka Dot, B, 31/07/00, Br: G Bardell, (Ch Elve Stormwizard - Naunbeach Silver Lady) A b/t girl carrying her 8 years well, pretty head and appealing eye, good body quarters and angulation. Enough coat to feel the texture although more would have been preferable. Pity she would not put her tail up.
Judge: Mr. Barry Day ( Risepark )
20th. April 2008
held at Roade Village Hall, Northamptonshire.
Best In Show
Swe. Ch. Cobby's Dressed To Kill